Saturday, February 03, 2007

Scott and I attended Catholic Mass at the amazing Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena Cathedral. We sat by this 60ish year old woman who insisted on speaking to us in Spanish, even after I told her I only spoke a little. When mass ended, she guided us to some old relics inside the cathedral, chattering away in Spanish the whole time. Scott and I exchanged desperate looks, as we had no idea what she was talking about. We just nodded our heads and inserted an occasional 'si, si.' Once I figured out her accent, she was a lot easier to understand and I realised she had been telling us about the Virgin Mary and festivals they have throughout the year to honour her. After making a few jokes at Scott's expense :), she reached into her pocket and pulled out two silver medallions with the Virgin Mary on them. And she insisted we keep them! I was touched by her generous gift. I bought a necklace chain for mine and, though I am not Catholic, I am wearing it right now! Posted by Picasa

No comments: