Friday, February 01, 2008

Christmas Fun

This is our annual Christmas Eve "Shepherd's Meal." We have what we interpret to be middle-eastern foods while we read Luke 2. We imagine we are the shepherds receiving the glad tidings of Christ's birth. This year our spread included cheese-stuffed olives, crackers, various cheeses, hummus, and pineapple actually (very middle-eastern indeed! We thought we'd add a tropical twist). In past years we actually dressed up as shepherds, but this year we felt too sophisticated.

1 comment:

joseph said...

Brittany, We do something similar. We call it the Bethlehem Dinner, only eating things Joseph and Mary might have eaten that night. Food and candles on floor boards, bed sheets and shepherd's canes on hand, we read Luke 2 and try not to stuff our paws too full of olives and dates. I'm impressed to learn there is another family with the same tradition.

Your dissertation looks fascinating. I've always wanted time for a second focus in school, so I could study English literature. But Russian lit is a jealous genre--it had me first.

I recognize you too, but sit in the same boat, not knowing the how, when, or where. You're right about me having a sister named Rebecca, but somehow you missed mine--Joseph. How long ago were you in Taiwan? Berhan is a happen'n place. I'm sure you miss it sometimes...though not when you're in Europe I'm sure. Hope you're enjoying it.