Monday, March 17, 2008

Tubingen





This is Tubingen, an ancient university city tucked in the mountains about 30 miles from Stuttgart--the thoroughly German equivalent of Oxford (in my mind). It was incredible! I fell in love with the city. The University of Tubingen began in the 13th or 14th century in a fortress completed in the 12th century. This fortress is featured in the 2nd photo. (Sorry...my camera is rubbish at night shots!) 3rd shot: I have a thing with graffitti...I love it. I find it fascinating. Man has always felt the need to scratch his name in a place, to make a statement, to prove and preserve his existance. I have found graffiti from the 1700s etched in Cathedral walls and other such places. I especially find it fascinating when it is in other languages. See if you can decipher some of the graffitti featured on this very cool door on the University of Tubingen campus! The bottom picture is the Rathaus, I believe, the main government building (??). Both Calw and Tubingen possessed that wonderful old worldy feeling of comfort and crookedness.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

[Contemplative?] Angela said...

Tübingen! It is a pity your camera takes rubbish night shots... but I enjoyed them anyway. Xoxo, but I'm still jealous. :)

Rheanna said...

You have such an exiting life getting to travel all the time-I'm so jealous! It looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your trip!